[john-users] OpenMP
Mounir Belhniyene
2017-12-19 09:40:07 UTC

I want to enable OpenMP at jtr-1.8.0-jumbo-1 , I've tried a lot of
tutorials and documentaion isn't enogh. I still get OpenMP diabled during
cracking password

regards,
Solar Designer
2017-12-19 10:32:27 UTC
Post by Mounir Belhniyene
I want to enable OpenMP at jtr-1.8.0-jumbo-1 , I've tried a lot of
tutorials and documentaion isn't enogh. I still get OpenMP diabled during
cracking password
OpenMP is normally enabled automatically during build of jumbo, if
supported by your compiler (and it almost certainly is), except for a
subset of "formats" where it's either not supported by JtR or is so
inefficient that we choose to disable it by default.

Can you show an example (copy & paste from your terminal) of OpenMP
staying disabled during cracking? Starting with the "john" command line
and ending with a status line printed on a keypress - and including
everything inbetween.

If your actual goal is to crack your passwords faster, rather than to
enable OpenMP just for the sake of it, you'd want to try "--fork=N"
instead (where N should be the number of logical CPUs in your system).
It generally provides greater efficiency.

This isn't your issue, but FYI we currently strongly recommend
bleeding-jumbo off GitHub over the 1.8.0-jumbo-1 release, which is
getting rather old (we ought to make a new numbered release soon).

Also, you don't appear to be subscribed to john-users. You might want
to subscribe so that you don't miss possible replies by others.

Alexander
Mounir Belhniyene
2017-12-19 13:33:56 UTC
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Here is it the example of password
cracking :

***@ensaf:~/JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo/run$ ./zip2john
~/Desktop/doc.zip > ~/Desktop/doczip.hash
ver 1.0 efh 5455 efh 7875 doc.zip->doc PKZIP Encr: 2b chk, TS_chk,
cmplen=62, decmplen=50, crc=80ECEF18
***@ensaf:~/JohnTheRipper-bleeding-jumbo/run$ ./john ~/Desktop/doczip.hash
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 1 password hash (PKZIP [32/64])
Warning: OpenMP is disabled; a non-OpenMP build may be faster
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
Post by Solar Designer
Hi,
Alexander
Solar Designer
2017-12-19 15:06:11 UTC
Post by Mounir Belhniyene
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Here is it the example of password
~/Desktop/doc.zip > ~/Desktop/doczip.hash
ver 1.0 efh 5455 efh 7875 doc.zip->doc PKZIP Encr: 2b chk, TS_chk,
cmplen=62, decmplen=50, crc=80ECEF18
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 1 password hash (PKZIP [32/64])
Warning: OpenMP is disabled; a non-OpenMP build may be faster
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
This output suggests you might be on a system that has only one logical
CPU. Maybe a VM to which you didn't grant more than one logical CPU?

Also, the PKZIP format is a "fast" one, meaning that OpenMP scaling will
be poor even if you get it working, and you should prefer the "--fork"
option instead. But first you need to figure out how many logical CPUs
you have on this system.

Assuming this is Linux, can you please post the output of:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Alexander
Rich Rumble
2017-12-19 15:42:38 UTC
Post by Mounir Belhniyene
Post by Mounir Belhniyene
Thank you so much for your fast reply. Here is it the example of password
~/Desktop/doc.zip > ~/Desktop/doczip.hash
ver 1.0 efh 5455 efh 7875 doc.zip->doc PKZIP Encr: 2b chk, TS_chk,
cmplen=62, decmplen=50, crc=80ECEF18
~/Desktop/doczip.hash
Post by Mounir Belhniyene
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
Loaded 1 password hash (PKZIP [32/64])
Warning: OpenMP is disabled; a non-OpenMP build may be faster
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, almost any other key for status
This output suggests you might be on a system that has only one logical
CPU. Maybe a VM to which you didn't grant more than one logical CPU?
Also, the PKZIP format is a "fast" one, meaning that OpenMP scaling will
be poor even if you get it working, and you should prefer the "--fork"
option instead. But first you need to figure out how many logical CPUs
you have on this system.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Alexander
Similarly on windows from a CMD prompt
wmic.exe cpu get Name, NumberOfCores, NumberOfLogicalProcessors

Output:
Name NumberOfCores
NumberOfLogicalProcessors
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz 2 4